Effective Date: 10/1/2022
- The types of information we collect through our Services
- How we use and protect that information
- The types of information we may share with others and under what circumstances
- The choices you have regarding our collection, use, and sharing practices
- Details regarding our use of third-party cookies and other tracking technologies
This Policy applies to Hearthland and our website, https://hearthlandfoundation.org, the emails we send, as well as the information we collect if you interact with us through social media or other online services. It does not apply to non-Hearthland websites and mobile applications that may link to the Services or be linked from the Services (e.g., the websites of our Grantees); please review the privacy policies on those websites and applications directly to understand their privacy practices.
For questions about our privacy practices, contact us at:
The Hearthland Foundation
Information We Collect
Information you give us: Some of the Services may include features or services that permit you to enter contact information and other information about you. We collect and store any information you enter on our Services. This includes:
- Contact information for your organization when applying for a grant, sharing news or event information, project information, or updating your contact information related to a grant your organization has received.
- Email address for potential future Hearthland communications.
- Information you provide if you interact with us via social media, including any posts, pictures, videos, and messages which you may submit to us either via our social media sites (including by use of hashtags associated with us) or our site.
- Information you provide if you complete a survey administered by us or a service provider acting on our behalf.
- Information you provide in response to a prompt, webform, or other interactive feature on the Services.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and any contact information provided.
Information We Collect Automatically: When you interact with the Services, certain information about your use of our Services is automatically collected. Much of this information is collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies, as well as through your web browser or device. This includes:
- Details of your visits to our site and information generated in the course of the use of our site (including the timing, frequency and pattern of service use) including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, the resources that you access, and how you reached our site.
- Details regarding the device you use to access our website or digital services, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type.
- Information about how you interact with our newsletters, including whether you open or click links in any correspondence.
- Information that you may make available to us on a social media platform (such as by clicking on a social media icon that may be linked from our Services).
Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. At this time, Hearthland does not respond to browser “Do Not Track” signals.
How We Use and Protect Your Information
We may use the information we collect from you for the following purposes:
- To provide your organization with a grant for which you have applied, or information related to a grant for which you have sought information through an inquiry with Hearthland.
- To enable additional features on our Services or to provide you with a personalized experience.
- To enable us to interact with you, including to send you a newsletter if you consented to us doing so.
- To provide you with the best experience and improve our Services.
- To detect, investigate, prevent, and act upon activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal, and to comply with legal requirements regarding the provision of products and services.
How We Secure the Information We Collect From or About You
We use a combination of physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the information we collect through the Services. While we use these precautions to safeguard your information, we cannot guarantee the security of the networks, systems, servers, devices, and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
Our Sharing of Your Information
- Service Providers: We engage third party service providers to perform functions on our behalf related to our: website, software we use, data hosting, database management, technical integration, automation of communications, analytics, and site optimization. As part of their services to us, these third party service providers will have access to your information.
- Social Media Platforms: If you choose to interact with us through social media, your interaction with these programs typically allows the third party to collect some information about you through digital cookies they place on your device and other tracking mechanisms. In some cases, the third party may recognize you through its digital cookies even when you do not interact with their application. Please visit the third parties’ respective privacy policies to better understand their data collection practices and controls they make available to you.
- Hearthland Team and Affiliates: We share data from grant applications with Hearthland staff, Board Members, officers, consultants, advisors and their representatives, as well as governmental authorities when legally required to do so. On some occasions, a grant application may be shared with someone who is not formally affiliated with Hearthland, or with other foundations with whom we work.
Additional Information about our Data Collection and Sharing Practices
Sharing of Aggregated Data: We may analyze aggregated, de-identified data and share these analyses at our discretion, including with analytics providers. These third parties will not be able to relate this data to identifiable individuals.
Combination of Information: We may combine information from the Services with other information we obtain from our business records, our affiliates, or from third party sources. Additionally, information collected about you from a particular browser or device may be linked to information collected from another computer or device that we believe relates to you.
Change of Control or Corporate Organization: In the event that there is a change in control of Hearthland, we may transfer to another entity or its affiliates or service providers some or all information about you in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, change in control, or other reorganization. We cannot promise that the merged entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in this Policy.
Cross-border Transfer of Data: We are located in the United States. If you use our Services outside of the United States, you understand that we may collect, process, and store your personal information in the United States and other countries.
Your Options and Rights
Our Email Newsletter: If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email bulletin, or email us at [firstname.lastname@example.org] and we will promptly remove you from all correspondence.
Your California Privacy Rights
Residents of the State of California have the right to request information regarding third parties to whom certain categories of personal information has been disclosed during the preceding year for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. Hearthland does not share personal information with third parties for direct marketing purposes.
Changes to This Policy
We may make changes to this Policy from time to time. We will post any changes, and such changes will become effective when they are posted. Your continued use of our Services following the posting of any changes will mean you accept those changes.